Connecting new devices such as Printers or Speakers is quite an easy job but at times, it may be very painful. Today, I am going to discuss one of the issues, I faced while connecting a printer to my computer for printing some images and documents. The error was “Windows doesn’t have a network profile for this device.” Initially, I had no clue what is this error all about. But, then, I searched the internet and found some solutions, and one of them worked for me. Thus, I thought to share those fixes with you all here. Let’s dive deep into it to know the fix for this error.
- 1 What is Network Profile?
- 2 Main Causes for the Error “Windows doesn’t have a network profile for this device”
- 3 Possible Fixes to the Error “Windows Doesn’t Have a Network Profile For this Device”
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
When you connect either wired or wireless devices to your computer, they get connected through a network link and they are operated with the help of technologies like USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth. These connections are built through network profiles or wireless adapters.
Here the error states “Windows doesn’t have a network profile for this device” which means the issue is somewhere with the Network Profile or the device itself. So, let’s first get into the detail of what actually the network profile is.
What is Network Profile?
A network profile is required when a device is connected to the computer because it is what responsible for how the devices connect over a network. The network profile connects with the device connected to the computer, and it stores network configuration settings, including the SSID, network security type, network credentials, and description.
It means that the Network Profile is crucial for connecting a device to your computer. Thus, there must be a valid network profile for every device that connects to the computer.
Main Causes for the Error “Windows doesn’t have a network profile for this device”
Any computer error may have one or many reasons that make those errors happen. So, let’s see what are the causes for this particular error.
- Device Incompatible with computer: The very first reason maybe is the incompatibility between the device and the computer. If you are not sure, you can check the system requirements or compatibility requirements on the device manufacturer’s website. If the device is not compatible, the only solution is to get a device that is compatible with your computer.
- Faulty Device: Sometimes, the new device may be faulty too. So, you have to first check everything, and if things are fine and still it doesn’t work, you can ask the seller for a replacement.
- Misconfigured Port Settings: Devices such as printers use different ports to connect to the wireless connection. Thus, having the correct port settings is required. If there is anything wrong with the configuration, this error may be triggered.
- PC set as not Discoverable: Sometimes, your PC is not discoverable. Then this error may happen too.
- Network Driver out of date: If your PC’s network driver is out of date, then also this error may happen.
These were some main causes that may trigger the error “Windows doesn’t have a network profile for this device.” There may be many more causes for this, but, generally, these are the main causes that people used to find.
Possible Fixes to the Error “Windows Doesn’t Have a Network Profile For this Device”
Check For Device Compatibility
The first thing you must check is whether the device you are connecting to your PC is compatible with your computer’s version. For that, you can visit the manufacturer’s website, and also, sometimes, the system requirements are written on the box in which the device comes.
If there is no compatibility, it will throw an error. The solution to this problem is replacing the device with the version that is compatible with your computer.
Allow Your Computer to be Discoverable
Windows PCs can be configured to either not discoverable (connected to a public network) or discoverable (connected to a private network). The devices connect through the PC via a private network, so you have to make your PC discoverable.
To do that, follow the steps.
- Click the Windows icon on your desktop, and in the menu click “Settings”
- Now, click on “Network and Internet”.
- Find “wifi” and click on that. Now, you will see all the available networks.
- Click Advanced options to launch your connection settings.
- There, you will see “Find Devices and Content”. Turn it ON
- Apply the setting, and restart your PC.
For Wired Connection
- Go to “Settings”
- Now, click “Network & Internet”
- Then, click “Ethernet”
- If there are many connections displayed out there, then click on the one that is connected.
- Check the “Private”
- Save the settings, and restart your PC.
Update the Network Driver
Since the devices we connect to the PC work in a Private Network, it is quite important that network drivers are updated well. They must not be outdated.
To do this follow the steps below:
- Go to RUN, type ncpa.cpl, and hit enter. It redirects you to the Network adapters of the computer.
- Now, you will see the network adapters available on your computer. Now, on the one which is connected, right click then click Properties.
- On the next screen, click “Configure”.
- Click “Driver tab” then click “Update Driver”
- On the next page, click “Search Automatically for updated driver software”
Now, it will search for the driver update, and if there would be any update, it will update the driver automatically.
Start SNMP Services
What is SNMP Service?
SNMP stands for Simple Network Management Protocol. It is an internet protocol used to manage and monitor network devices that are connected over an Internet Protocol. Routers, Printers, Switches, CCTVs, wireless devices, etc. do communicate via SNMP.
- Press Windows key with S to launch Search.
- Type “Services” without quotes in the search bar. Click on Services from there.
- Locate SNMP Trap service and double-click on that.
- It will open a dialogue box. There, in the General Tab set the startup type to Automatic from the dropdown.
- Now, Click Start to start the service.
- Click Apply then click OK.
Make Use of Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Windows has its default hardware and devices troubleshooter which may fix this issue as well. All you need to do is to run the troubleshooter, and it will do its job.
- Press the Windows key, and type Troubleshoot.
- There, click on Troubleshoot
- Now, click on “Hardware and Devices”, and then click on Run the Troubleshooter.
- Further, follow the on-screen instruction to finish the process.
- Once done, restart your computer.
Q: I have HP Printer, and I am having the same error “Windows Doesn’t Have a Network Profile For This Device”?
Ans: Since HP Printer is also a network device that connects through a private network. You should try the solutions mentioned in this article such as updating network drivers, running hardware and devices troubleshooting, starting SNMP services, checking your device for compatibility, and also, checking if your PC is discoverable. Apart from these solutions, you should also check whether the device is faulty. Sometimes, even new devices are faulty. In that case, you have to replace the device.
Q: How to buy a device such as a printer that is compatible with my computer?
Ans: To get a device that is compatible with your computer, you must know your computer’s specifications. And, when you go to buy a device, then check its system requirements. If it matches your computer’s specifications, then get that. If it doesn’t then, don’t buy that one. I have seen, most of the time, device compatibility is the issue for this error, and many other errors as well.
Since the Network Profile error comes when you connect the device, you must know these things beforehand so that you can quickly fix the issue. Moreover, you may not face this issue as well. If you do, do refer to this article, and you will be able to fix it.
I hope you must have enjoyed the solutions. Do let me know your views after you try these solutions. If you have already faced this issue earlier and solved it, then do share which method worked for you.